Arizona Parent Kit
Raising a child is one of life's greatest joys. It can also be a challenge.
From the day a child is born, the care, attention, love and support they experience lays the foundation for their future. Why? Because 90% of a child’s critical brain development occurs before age 5.
It’s crucial that parents have the tools they need to support children with stable, nurturing environments in their earliest years.
That’s why First Things First provides the Arizona Parent Kit – free of charge – to parents of all newborns in the state before they leave the hospital or birthing center. It is also available for checkout at libraries statewide.
The Arizona Parent Kit is a signature program of First Things First.
The Arizona Parent Kit contains resources to help parents support their child in each phase of their early development, from baby to toddler to preschooler. These tools:
• Empower parents with a set of 6 DVDs featuring leading experts in early childhood covering a wide array of topics including:
- Health and Nutrition
- Child Safety
- Early Literacy
- Finding Quality Child Care
• Promote early literacy with a board book to encourage parents to begin reading to and with their child from the very beginning
• Remind parents that expert help is a phone call away with a refrigerator magnet promoting the toll-free Birth to Five Helpline, which provides free advice and answers to the toughest parenting questions from nurses and other child development experts.
• Connect families to helpful resources through the Arizona Parents Guide, which provides 80 pages of information and resources to help parents care for their child. It includes useful tips about child development, health and safety, quality child care and school readiness. There are also toll-free numbers and websites where parents and caregivers can get more information and assistance.
Since 2009, more than 300,000 Arizona Parent Kits have been distributed to parents of newborn throughout the state.
The Arizona Parent Kit is endorsed by:
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Arizona Chapter
- Governor’s Office for Children, Youth and Families
- Partners for Arizona’s Children